Support Small Business
We need to cut the red tape and make it simpler and cheaper for small and independent businesses to get off the ground and operate. We can lower taxes for small businesses by raising taxes on the large chain stores that drive our beloved mom and pop shops out of business and diminish the culture and character of our neighborhoods. Small businesses are the life and heart of our communities and we must make every effort to protect their survival and encourage growth.
AS YOUR ASSEMBLYMEMBER, I WILL FIGHT TO:
- Enact commercial rent control for small businesses. Small business owners can do everything right and still be financially shuttered by a landlord’s unconscionable rent increase once their lease is up for renewal. We’ve had enough of our favorite restaurants, bars, and shops being shut down this way.
- Suspend sales tax for businesses that employ fewer than 20 employees. We need to give shoppers a financial incentive to purchase locally instead of from Amazon or big box stores.
- Enact a vacancy tax for long-term vacant storefronts that are turning formerly-bustling areas into ghost streets. This will help bring down commercial rents to the level they should be and encourage new businesses to open.
- Maintain consistent rules for outdoor dining and give restaurants reasonable time to adjust instead of immediately issuing heavy-handed fines that disproportionately harm smaller establishments.
- Limit the extortionate fees that food delivery apps charge restaurants and fight for better worker protections for delivery drivers.